How to: Sections
Descriptive Essay Writing: A Vivid Appeal to Senses
When writing a descriptive essay, you are typically required to provide a detailed multifaceted description. The choice of object for description may range from person or event, to building or place, to a broad topic. In any case, when writing a descriptive essay you should provide a comprehensive picture of its object by appealing to all the five senses. Read on and find out how to handle writing your descriptive essay efficiently.
Descriptive Essay Writing: Issues to Relate
Typically, your task when writing a descriptive essay will be in this or that way connected with relating the following possible issues:
- What is the reason for your describing of exactly this object?
- What are its outward and inward characteristics?
- How did you relate to it at the time of your experience?
- What associations does this object stir in you?
- How did you feel about what you are describing then?
- How do you feel about what you are describing now?
Descriptive Essay Writing: Techniques to Consider
Before writing your descriptive essay, get acquainted with the following advice and choose the most appropriate for the purposes of your essay:
- Show rather than tell: dry facts are of no interest to your reader; make them vivid and living;
- Employ diverse descriptive language but do not overfill your writing with metaphors, similes, and other literary devices;
- Use both concrete and abstract images to increase the impression.
Descriptive Essay Writing: Organizing the Paper
Having completed the background work for your essay, set down to writing your descriptive essay according to the following scheme:
- Introduction: intrigue the reader by some interesting information on about the object of depiction; state the object of description in a thesis sentence;
- Body: write separate paragraphs, each discussing one idea at a time; use examples and details;
- Conclusion: generally summarize what you have said in your essay and conclude with the significance of the object described.